Here’s what you can expect at this week’s Farmily CSA pickups:
- Okra (FRY IT UP!)
- Heirloom Red Slicer Tomatoes
- Jalapeno Peppers (they are pretty dang hot this year)
- Bell Peppers (sweet tasting classic bell peppers in green, red,and the beautiful inbetween of the 2 colors: brownishredgreen)
- Red Norland Potatoes (smaller red potatoes, naturally creamy and buttery. we store ours in the fridge unwashed. do NOT store near onions! Great in potato salad, roasted, or mashed)
- Yukon Gold Potatoes (your classic all purpose potato- WE ALWAYS STORE ALL OUR TATERS IN THE FRIDGE- they will last as long as several months this way)
- Red Onions (we store ours in the fridge. do NOT store near potatoes!)
- Candy Onions (if you have not tried these roasted- oh you are missing out!)
- Basil (store just like you would cut flowers- in a small jar or vase with their stems in water. I keep on my windowsill above my sink with my tomatoes)
- Carrots- store in the fridge unwashed or washed until ready to eat
- Spaghetti Squash (yep! They’re here! Store on counter or in pantry and they will keep for several months- that’s the real reason they are considered ‘winter squashes’- they will keep through the winter. Use in place of any spaghetti noodles)
- Leeks use anywhere you would use onions. Make Potato Leek soup and freeze it for the Fall/Winter. You will be GLAD you did, I promise!
- Hoping for Zucchini & Squash & Spaghetti squash again this week! The gardens are OVER.IT. Thus Farmer Dan’s Hesitancy to commit but I threw some recipes in here just in case.
All are hand harvested by us and brought to you the same day. Farm fresh, Certified Organic, and full of love!
Recipes to try this week:
Spaghetti Squash Meatball Bake (Farmily Member Approved!)
Crispy Garlic Butter Smashed Potatoes (Farmily Recommended!)
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Bowls (pictured- Farmily Recommended)
Tomato Pie (You say tomato, I say tomato PIE! To me, there is nothing better. Tomato Pie is everything. Please try it and please only use Duke’s Mayo. That’s all.)
Stuffed Bell Peppers (also a Freezer Meal! I freeze these every year)
FREEZE Your Zucchini (use in zucchini cake, zucchini bread, casseroles, and more later)
Caprese Chicken (You may have seen this one floating around on Facebook. I am here to tell you that it’s fabulous one pot wonder dish that we are adding to the regular meal rotation. We make it at least once a week for real. AMAZING with our basil and tomatoes.)
Crockpot French Onion Soup (we love this! Another good one to freeze)
Loaded Baked Potato Salad (bonafide. we have been making this for years!)
Zucchini Pizza Casserole (Farmily member tested & recommended!)
Red Potato Salad (Farmily member tested and recommended)
All the other zucchini recipes! Zucchini sliders, zucchini pizza, zucchini chips, and more!
Zucchini Lasagna (I make my own version of this all the time! it’s fabulous and freezes so well)
Basil Pistou (this is how I preserve my basil- put in ice cube trays till frozen, then in ziplock bag)
Oven Fried Okra (I make my version of this ALL the time! it’s fabulous. I don’t spray the bag like she does. I spray the pan with olive oil before cooking. And I usually use whole wheat flour instead of cornmeal. This recipe rocks. It takes longer than you think to cook, start it first if you are cooking a whole meal since you want the flour to soak up all the slime in the okra, and then you have to cook it after)
Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Sour Cream Frosting (I use greek yogurt instead of sour cream)
Cheddar Zucchini Bread (can add bacon, jalapeños, chives…..)